Twenty years from now you will be more dissapointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover

Monday, February 22, 2010

dumplings and random buns.

After nearly a month in the asian city that never sleeps I have finally experienced the ever popular chinese breakfast/brunch/lunch phenomenon known as dim sum. For those of you who aren't familiar with dim sum, it is a collection of different dumplings, buns, rolls, etc. They come in small portions so you can order a bunch of different dishes and share, which is what we did.
We decided to try the dim sum restaurant on campus (our nicest dining facility) for the main reason that between 2:30-4:00 weekdays it is half price, scorrrrre. Let me just say that this dim sum is nottt really diabetic friendly, based on all of the pastry and carbs involved, so I also ordered a plate of "boiled greens", and yes, those boiled greens were about as flavourful as they sound. Gotta do what you gotta do though. I would have to say that the whole meal itself wasn't that great, my friends said that it wasn't very good dim sum, so I'm hoping to try somewhere better in the city at some point. I think one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it to its full potential is that I wasn't quite aware of what I was putting in my mouth at any point during the whole meal. The "dumplings" are covered in rice paper, so I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best lol. At least I had my greens and some tea to get me through it. The good news is that it was ridiculously cheap, ended up being about $3CDN each, so I guess I can't really complain.

The afternoon was spent at the library once again, where I actually managed to get some work done, thank god. We then relaxed for a bit before heading down to eat at the seafront restaurant, for the first time ever. This place is amazing, they will honestly make you whatever you ask... And you get to see the food you are choosing, so there are no surprises, mystery meat style haha. I opted for rice, with brocolli, an egg and a chicken leg. She added a bit of soy sauce, and I was golden. Best asian-inspired meal (if you can call it that) that I have had on campus thus far. I will definately be visiting the hall 6 seafront more often, thats for sure.

We headed to unibar to cap off the night. I honestly expected there to be very few people there, as it IS a monday. Wrong again. Had I not known better I would've thought it was a Saturday night. I, of course, got into a pretty competitive game of darts. I think my extreme-sober game play is my secret weapon, as I won once again. Before leaving the bar, Elizabeth, Hakon, Jorgen, and I decided to play one more game. If you guessed that after this game I would be 4 for 4, you would be right. I pride myself on being undefeated thus far, my biggest accomplishment on campus up until now; not that that says much for me lol. I will keep everyone updated on my dart adventures to come. I hear there are some leagues back in the peg, I'll have to put mself up for the draft.

Class early early tomorrow and I'm hoping to make some serious progress when it comes to studying for my mandarin quiz, which is on thursday. Ni hao? Late late late and time for bed. My hanging clothes are all still wet, I don't get it..? Ah well they'll be in the dryer tomorrow so let's hope they don't shrink, everyone keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully flood pants are the new steez in hk.

No comments:

Post a Comment