Twenty years from now you will be more dissapointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover

Saturday, May 15, 2010

i guess this is it.

So I guess this is it... Almost four months ago I set out on a journey that would change my life, forever. I was given devastating news, and then took off overseas to experience what would end up being the craziest, toughest, and more amazing time in my life.

This was a test, could I do it? Could I handle this crazy disease in a completely foreign environment? Thanks to perseverance, new found strength, and some of the most amazing people I have ever met, the answer is yes. Did I almost give up? Many times. Did I call home crying, telling my parents that I wasn't strong enough to do this on my anymore, yep. But never did I completely give up and follow through with it. The best decision I ever made.

I've grown up. I'm coming home much different than when I left. Is that scary? Yes. Was it much needed? I think so. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine what ended up being the past few months. I mean nobody dreams of become a diabetic, lets get serious... But travelling asia, trekking through the jungle, battling weight gain and hair loss... I never thought it would happen to me, none of it. Things I took for granted before have now been put into perspective, and I can now allow the simple things in life to make me happy. Taking care of myself has become a priority, in a way I never had to conciously consider before.

Packing up my things was hard. I'm leaving a certain life behind. Coming home will be therapeutic for me, but I would be kidding myself if I said I wasn't really going to miss it here. Even through all of the sweaty nights, awkward roommate moments, ridiculous gym sessions, and hospital visits, I was thankful for being here. I had a different experience than a lot of the other kids here, partying and making ridiculous memories weren't my immediate goals. But hong kong played host to the wildest nights of my life.

I've made what I consider to be lifelong friends, and had it not been for them, hong kong wouldn't have been the same. Ridiculous nights out, and mornings after. Times where we would sit and talk, about maybe even nothing at all... Sessions in 336, and wild southeast asian adventures, they made it all. This is me signing off for now. In less than an hour I'll be in a taxi to the airport, making my way back home. There have been some tears, and I'm sure that there are many more to come, sad, and happy at the same time. Over and out from hk.

1 comment:

  1. Kendeezy, reading this, just 24 hours after you left, made me tear up a little as I sit her procrastinating in the library. I love you, I miss you, and I know we'll see each other soon. Stay fly, Kends.

    YA BITCH.

    ReplyDelete